By Langton Ncube| Exiled former Higher Education minister, Professor Johnathan Moyo said the President Emmerson Mnangagwa administration was using the law of the jungle if it was true that the government had directed all financial institutions to freeze all his accounts.
“I see some journalists & social media platforms are awash with this extract below. If it is an authentic extract of or from a legitimate official communication, then the law of the jungle is in operation in the so called New Era,” Prof Moyo posted on his Twitter account, Thursday.
There is a document circulating in the social media claiming that the government through the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe has directed all f financial institutions in the country to freeze all the accounts belonging to Professor Moyo and Saviour Kasukuwere.
Below is the circular.
Directive to all financial institutions
Freezing of accounts re: Prof. Jonathan Moyo and Mr Saviour Kasukuwere (former government ministers)
1) You are directed to identify and immediately freeze:
(i) all accounts in the name of the above-named individuals; and
(ii) any accounts in which the said individuals are directors or have a known beneficial interest.
2) You are further directed to submit, in writing, a return to the Unit, by no later than the 8th of December 2017, listing and giving particulars (including balances) of all the accounts that you would have identified and frozen in terms of this directive.
3) Where you have not identified any relevant account, you shall, nevertheless submit a nil return.
4) Where you are in doubt regarding whether or not any particular account is linked to the named subjects, you shall contact the Unit for further direction.
5) The effect of the freeze is that, (except any inflows into the account, which shall be processed normally and immediately notified to the Unit) no other transaction shall be processed from a frozen account, until further the Unit directs otherwise.
Moyo claimed that Kasukuwere’s house was attacked by at least 25 Special Air Service (SAS) snipers who wanted to apprehend both Moyo and Kasukuwere.